Wednesday, April 29, 2009

my skin hurts

Whenever I'm crabby or grumpy or whiny, I like to tell (whine to?) my husband that "my skin hurts". Ugh, I think it's hereditary. The baby has been fairly inconsolable the past couple of days. She's fallen into a pattern of eating (but not a lot) every hour or two (if I'm lucky), falling asleep for 15 minutes and and then waking up grunting and fussing and building into full out screaming, only consolable by feeding her again. I would think maybe it's the formula we're giving her, but she does it after breastfeeding, just the same (probably worse). And she's actually been really sleepy at night, just waking up to eat every few hours and going right back down. You'd think if it was acid reflux she'd be more uncomfortable at night, being laid down on her back. Part of me thinks she's just really becoming aware of her surroundings and getting sensory overload or something - that or a growth spurt and she just can't get full. She's been sleeping most of this afternoon, so hopefully we're on the upswing. I hope so, it's been really frustrating. Her crying is honestly my least favorite sound in the world - I would almost call in gut-wrenching. I can't explain - I know crying babies aren't generally soothing, but when it's your own it's nuts. I feel like it's some kind of animalistic evolutionary cavewoman thing, almost to where I can't deal with it. We were at my parents' house last night, and my mom took the baby upstairs for awhile to give me a break. I could still hear crying and it was giving me anxious knots in my stomach. Same when Mike takes her. I wish it didn't make me feel like that - it would be nice to have a true, honest, break when she's on a fussing marathon, especially when I've been on fuss-bucket detail alone all day.

But, like I said, the seas seem calmer this afternoon. I've still been letting the baby fall asleep with me holding her after she eats, but then I put her in her crib for the rest of her nap (we'll graduate to getting her to actually fall asleep in her crib another day). I heard the fuss-grunting start up a bit ago, and then it stopped and she fell back asleep on her own. It's a start.

Ok, duty calls - I just heard a super-poop from the other room. I hope it didn't shoot out of her diaper (again). All the hollywood moms were right, this motherhood thing is tres chic!

No comments: